Issued by the Malta Transport Centre, this Directorate would like to bring to the attention of all those concerned, the issue of a new Maltese Seaman’s Record Book. The Record Book is available to all seafarers engaged on ships registered under the Merchant Shipping Act, to Maltese Nationals and to holders of Maltese Certificates of Competency.
Applications for a Maltese Seaman’s Record Book shall be submitted to the Merchant Shipping Directorate, either by the seafarer or by the company employing the seafarer. Applications shall be accompanied by such documents as may be prescribed on the application form, including:
- documents of qualification to be entered in the Seaman’s Record Book;
- documentary evidence of valid basic training certificates as per STCW Regulation VI/1;
- a statement by the Master or employer on an official form or headed paper evidencing engagement on a Malta flagged ship;
- proof of identification (copy of passport or identity card);
- two (2) passport size photographs- Photographs are to be taken in full face, without a hat/cap and should be printed on normal photographic paper, unmounted. The photographs should be of clear exposure;
- relative fee Euro 60; if secure delivery by courier is required, additional Euro 25;
- to apply for a renewal, kindly file all the above documents, together with the completed Seaman’s Record Book;
- to apply for a replacement, a declaration explaining the loss or defacement of the Seaman’s Book. Should the original Seaman’s Book be found (if declared lost) it should be immediately returned to the Authority.
For the full circular please click on the below link