The Belize Ship Registry
ADVANTAGES OF REGISTRATION – Why the Belize flag:
- Fast and reliable
- Worldwide network of Deputy Registrars in major maritime centres
- Worldwide network of General Safety Inspectors to conduct inspections to verify compliance with international standards
- Competitive tonnage taxes, fees and discount incentives
- Well established legal system and mortgage recording system
- International Business Corporations (IBC)
SHIP REGISTRATION GUIDELINES:
There are no requirements concerning local ownership or participation in ownership.
In accordance with The Registration of Merchant Ships Act 1989, as amended, a provisional registration is valid for six months.
- Confirmation of availability of vessel’s name
- Application form for the Registration of Ships
- Proof of Ownership
- Power of Attorney appointing a shipping agent in Belize
- Valid Cargo Ship Safety Radio Certificate in compliance with GMDSS Code (where applicable)
- International Tonnage Certificate (where applicable)
- Proof of compliance with ISM Code-Copy of Document of Compliance and Safety Management Certificate (where applicable)
- Application for Minimum Safe Manning Certificate
- Confirmation from an authorized radio accounting entity
- Applications for the Endorsements of Licenses for all officers
For provisional registration, the abovementioned documents may be submitted in copy.
Vessels under construction may be granted provisional registration under special conditions.
Permanent Registration can be effected at any time during the provisional registration period upon submission of the necessary documentation together with the applicable fees (with the option of a 2 or 5 year permanent registration).
- Original / certified true copy of a duly notarized Bill of Sale, Judicial Sale Instrument or Builder Certificate.
- Original Deletion Certificate from previous registry.
- Original / certified true copy of the Power of Attorney appointing a shipping agent in Belize.
- Copies of all valid statutory certificates issued by a Recognized Organization.
- Application for Maritime Ship Station License.
IMMARBE also accepts vessels to be registered for a short period under special circumstances such as one delivery voyage for scrap. Procedures for special registration allow for documents to be issued with a validity of three months and automatic expiration when this period elapses. This special status does not entitle the vessel to a Deletion Certificate.
Special quality criteria also apply to the registration of vessels of 7501 GT and above.
Foreign registered vessels may obtain parallel or dual registration at IMMARBE as a second Registry under the terms of a bareboat charter party provided that the First Registry grants its consent in writing. Upon submission of an authenticated copy of the bareboat charter party, the consent from the First Registry and the corresponding fees, navigation and ship station licenses valid for up to two years will be issued.
A vessel registered at IMMARBE may obtain a parallel registration in another country’s registry based on a bareboat charter party. For this purpose, the applicant shall submit a formal application giving full details of the bareboat charter party. If satisfied that all formalities have been complied with, the Registry’s Head Office may authorize the vessel’s parallel/dual registration for a period of up to two years. During the terms of this registration, all relevant annual and other fees will be payable to IMMARBE.
Endorsement of Officers’ Certificates
Belize was placed on the IMO STCW White List in November 2001. Also, the IMO’s Maritime Safety Committee has confirmed that in accordance with Regulation 1/8 of the STCW 1978 Convention, it has received the required independent evaluation which demonstrates that Belize is giving full and complete effect to the aforementioned Convention. The procedures for issuance of such Endorsements by IMMARBE are based on equivalence, requiring evidence that the applicant is in possession of an appropriate, recognized and valid certificate from a country that is on the IMO White List.
For more information with regards to the above, please Contact Us
Should you require our assistance in deciding which is the right flag for you, please complete the attached Questionnaire: